Innovation FY 2021 Notice of Funding Opportunity provides funding for projects that enhance mobility innovations for transit, supporting a vision for carefree mobility for all – a safe, reliable, equitable, and accessible mobility ecosystem that supports complete trips for all travelers.
Funds will be awarded competitively for projects that advance emerging technologies, strategies, and innovations in passenger-centric mobility in two distinct areas.
Sponsoring Agency: Federal Transit Administration
Type of Fund: Grant
Deadline: January 11, 2022
- Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO): Solicitation of project proposals for the Enhancing Mobility Innovation Competitive Funding Opportunity. The Federal Transit Administration (FTA) announces the availability of $2 million of Fiscal Year 2021 funds in this Notice of Funding Opportunity.
- Synopses and full announcement are posted on Grants.gov site as opportunity FTA-2021-010-TRI-EMI. Proposals must be submitted electronically through Grants.gov website by 11:59 PM Eastern Time on 01/11/2022.
- This opportunity provides funding for projects that enhance mobility innovations for transit, supporting a vision for carefree mobility for all – a safe, reliable, equitable and accessible mobility ecosystem that supports complete trips for all travelers. Funds will be awarded competitively for projects that advance emerging technologies, strategies and innovations in passenger-centric mobility in two distinct areas.
- If the total available funds, $1 million is available to accelerate innovative mobility and is for projects to improve mobility and enhance the rider experience with a focus on innovative service delivery models, creative financing, novel partnerships, and integrated payment solutions; and $1 million is available for projects to support the development of software solutions that facilitate integrated demand-response public transportation services that dispatch public transportation fleet vehicles through riders mobile devices or other means.
- To ensure the most impactful projects for each project area, FTA is seeking projects that require a minimum award amount of $250,000 with maximum award of $1 million. Projects will be selected based on the criteria outlined in the notice.
- The NOFO implements two provisions of the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021 (Pub. L. 116-260), that directs FTA to fund $1 million for competitive awards to accelerate mobility innovations, and $1 million to fund competitive awards for the development of software solutions to facilitate demand-response public transportation. Federal public transportation law (49 U.S.C. § 5312) authorizes the Public Transportation Innovation Program that supports mobility innovations research efforts.
- Eligible applicants include providers of public transportation, private for-profit, and not-for-profit organizations, state or local government entities, or other organizations such as research consortia, and institutions of higher education.
- Eligible applicants may also identify one or more project partners with a substantial interest and involvement in the proposed project.
- Applicants must be registered in the System for Award Management (SAM) database and maintain an active SAM registration with current information at all times during which it has an active Federal award or an application or plan under consideration by FTA.
For more information, visit Federal Transit Administration.